Sunday, May 18, 2014

Ready, Set, Go

Today I began a new journey. I am currently sitting in the Bucharest, Romania airport. This is where I will spend my summer. Well, not in the airport. But Romania.

I woke up this morning at 4:00am and drove with my grandparents and my little sister Aubrey from Rexburg to the Salt Lake airport. I was too tired to feel much of anything until we said our goodbyes. Let’s just get this out in the open: I. Hate. Goodbyes. More than I hate muskrat soup and liver patties. More than I hate when people chew with their mouth open. More than I hate stabbing a pitchfork through my foot. (Too much? Sorry). You get the picture.

I waved one last goodbye to my dear grandmother and my beautiful sister as I rode the escalator up from security. Step one: done. The first flight was too Seattle. Totally fine. The second flight was to Amsterdam. Soooo long. I watched Blind Side. From Amsterdam we flew to Bucharest.

As we boarded the plane to Bucharest, I heard bits and pieces of people speaking Russian. As the people walked by me to board the plane, my whole body was flooded with feelings from my mission because all the people smelled like Ukraine!! 

That feeling has not left me since boarding the plane to Bucharest.

I am now sitting on my bed in our Romanian apartment and almost EVERYTHING reminds me of Ukraine. I brushed my teeth using a water bottle because the water isn’t safe to drink. The toilet paper in the bathroom is a muddy tan color, made from recycled newspaper. My bedroom has an intricate blue and tan rug on the wood floor. Our washing machine is small and much different from ours back home. The toilet flushes using a button on the top lid. The view out my window is of the city: large and full of life. I also don’t have any idea what anyone is saying so that also reminds me of the mission.


I am grateful that the Lord has given me the chance to come back to Eastern Europe. My mission was a very sacred time for me, but also a very hard time. Since being sent home from the mission a part of my heart has felt broken and empty. One reason I decided to come to Romania was because I felt as though it would be a way for God to heal that part of my heart. I know that he can. 

"I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee" 2 Kings 20:5 






3 comments:

  1. such an amazing entry, it is a blessing to hear how you feel after your mission and especially a treasure to hear you mention Ukraine, in whichever way it touched you. could totally picture the way Ukraine smells, that is for those who have been through it. can't wait to hear more
    Ann from Poltava that misses you very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you. Just to make it clear: you were not "sent" home from your mission, you were allowed to come home due to health issues.
    I love you.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you so much Carlie grace!
    -Courty

    ReplyDelete