Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Why I Believe


I have been asked many times in my life why I believe what I do. I am not even close to perfect. I have had days of doubt and question but my days of belief have far outweighed them. I have been thinking a lot lately (again) about why I really believe all of the things that I do. And I wrote them down. I want the people that I care about to understand this part of my heart.

First let me begin with what exactly I believe. This is not an all-inclusive list, but I will try to cover the foundation. I believe that there is a God in Heaven. He is a merciful, forgiving God. I believe that He is my Father and that He loves me dearly. I believe that Jesus Christ is God’s son, my Brother. Jesus Christ is my Savior. I love Him. I believe that there is a life after this one, a place where we can live together with our families in perfect joy. I believe that living life as a follower of Jesus Christ is the happiest, most fulfilling way to live. I believe in the Bible and the Book of Mormon, that they are scripture given to us to teach us who God is and how we can follow Him. (Don’t know what the Book of Mormon is? Click here: http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/book-of-mormon).

And so, why do I believe what I do? Well, here a just a few reasons:

#1: The first reason is quite simply just because it feels right to me. No, it can’t be proven and it doesn’t make sense logically, but when I attend church services or study the scriptures or pray, something inside of me just feels right. It’s like coming home after a long trip: comfortable, peaceful, and happy.

#2: My family. Some of you may not know my family, but I think they are the most wonderful group of people in the entire world. We absolutely adore each other. Now, my family is not perfect and we have had trials and struggles over the years, but we are together and we are strong. We love each other. We support each other. I am absolutely positive that without the teachings of Jesus Christ and His influence in our lives, my family would not be what it is today. Does living the gospel of Jesus Christ make every family strong and whole and perfect? Perhaps not right now. But I believe that it will make ANY family situation better, no matter what it is.

#3: One reason I believe what I do is because of light. Let me explain. I served an LDS mission in Ukraine. The first week that I was there I was terrified. The people of Ukraine have gone through unbelievable pain and suffering. When I first arrived in Ukraine I met some cold, dark people. (Which happens in every culture). But then, I went to church. In Ukraine there are faithful members of the church, followers of Jesus Christ. They are full of light. The lives of the members are not easy, but they are happy and full of faith. I believe the way that I do because of them and the light in their eyes.

#4: I am never alone. We all have times in our lives when we face trials. We think that nobody understands us; nobody can help us. There are times when we feel utterly alone. I believe the way that I do because it helps to fill that hole. I know that Jesus Christ is constantly with me. Joshua 1:9 “…the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” I know that I can pray to God at any time and I can feel His peace. It works. Try it. J   

#5: Healthier lifestyle. It may sound silly, but living a healthier life really is one of the reasons I believe the way that I do. We don’t drink alcohol or coffee. We don’t smoke or do drugs. We are encouraged to eat healthily. It’s a good way to live folks.

#6: Tradition. Some people look down upon believing a certain way, only because that is what your family believes. Well, It is definitely not the ONLY reason I believe, but has it played a role? Sure! That being said, if I had not been born into my family I would hope that somehow, I could find the gospel of Jesus Christ.

#7: The Book of Mormon. For those of you who don’t know, the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, similar to the Bible. In our church we study and try to live by both. I absolutely love the Bible. I love reading about the life of Jesus Christ and His interactions with the people in Jerusalem. But I also love the Book of Mormon. When I read the Book of Mormon I want to be a better, more Christ-like person. I believe the way that I do because I know that a book that motivates me to do so much good must be right. (To read one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon, click here: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/3-ne/11?lang=eng).

#8: The final reason that I believe what I do is simply because it makes me happy. Everyone has the right to choose the way they live their life. For me, I choose to believe in God. I choose to do my absolute best to follow Him. When I mess up, and I do mess up, I seek His forgiveness. This is the life that makes me happy. My life is full of joy and purpose. Some argue that there cannot be a God because there is too much evil and pain in the world. But I believe that there MUST be a God because, despite all the evil created by mens' poor choices, there is still light and happiness. I will always believe. 


1 comment: